Getting overwhelmed with your move? Try these tips!
- Call rental trucks, movers, cleaners and storage facilities if needed.
- Supplies: Boxes, scissors, tape, bubble wrap, newspaper, marking pens and bags.
- Schedule donations for items you don’t want to move.
- Place your change of address and call utility companies to transfer or discontinue their service.
- Plants: Stop watering 3 days before you move.
- Food: Use what you can beforehand and check expiration dates on condiments.
- Rugs: Clean and rolled up inside out with tape for easy transport.
- Pack one room at a time. You will feel more organized.
- Label your boxes by room and item descriptions for easy placement when unloading.
- Use towels, pillows, and blankets to pad breakable items and mark boxes as fragile.
- Put heavy items such as books in smaller boxes and keep bigger boxes for lighter items.
- Keep clothing on hangers and in drawers when possible.
- Keep tools used to disassemble items handy to reassemble at your new home.
- Place screws in a baggy and tape to the inside of the furniture to keep them all together.
- Pack a suitcase with clothes, first aid kit, medicine, toiletries, and sunscreen if it’s summer.
- Keep a grocery bag with paper plates, plastic utensils, bottles of water and menu for take-out.
Assemble and make your bed first. So that after a day of moving boxes, you don’t have to make your bed before you can crash.