Spring is here! The bulbs are blooming. The grass is growing. Bees are buzzing around. A sure sign that summer is on its way! And then there are the Ants!
No one wants them in their home! However, you could be inviting them in without really knowing it. Life is busy and it’s easy to let little things, like dishes and garbage, go to the end of the to-do list.
That overflowing garbage can or sink full of dirty dishes is an open invitation to these six-legged creatures. As they say “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!”
- A few things you can do to avoid a visit; empty the garbage frequently.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- If you have a dishwasher, load dishes in it at each time you have an empty dish.
- Run the dishwasher often. This will eliminate the odor that can attract ants and other bugs. Besides, your dishes may come out cleaner if you aren’t overloading it.
- Keep counters wiped down.
- Sink clean of food debris and floors swept.
Too late? The Ants are marching all over your countertop! There are many products on the market to take care of these pests. You may even find some homemade ideas. We like to use Terro. This is a clear liquid that attracts the ants to it. Once they find it, they take it back to their nest and tell their friends about it. You may notice a temporary increase in the number of Ants at first. Since Ants love to share, it won’t be long until they disappear.
When all else fails, it may be time to call an exterminator. Keep in mind this process can be very invasive, which requires the resident’s to do a major clean up before treatments can be done. Also, pest control/removal can be billed to the residents if they are found to be inviting them in by not following the above listed preventative items. If you are a resident of a rental property, be sure to check with your landlord for a list of preferred vendors.